Are you struggling with QuickBooks Error 12157? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. This error can occur when you try to update QuickBooks or when you try to access an online feature. The error message reads, “Error 12157: The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response.” This can be frustrating, but there are solutions to fix it. In this article, we’ll go over the causes of QuickBooks Error 12157 and provide you with solutions to resolve the issue.
What is QuickBooks Error 12157?
QuickBooks Error 12157 is an error code that can occur when a user tries to update QuickBooks or download payroll updates. The error can prevent the software from connecting to the server, which may cause issues with online features such as sending or receiving payroll information, updating bank transactions, or downloading software updates. The error code is usually accompanied by an error message that may include details about the cause of the error.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 12157
- Internet connection issues: A weak or unstable internet connection can cause QuickBooks Error 12157. If your internet connection drops or becomes unstable during the update process, it can cause this error to occur.
- Firewall or security software: Sometimes, firewall or security software can block QuickBooks from connecting to the server. This can cause Error 12157 or also QuickBooks Error 12007 and Error 12002 and so on .
- Incorrect SSL settings: SSL settings are required for secure online communication. If the SSL settings are incorrect, QuickBooks can’t connect to the server, causing this error.
- Outdated QuickBooks software: An outdated version of QuickBooks can cause this error. Updating your QuickBooks software is essential
- A server outage or a non-responsive server can cause QuickBooks Error 12157.
- Internet Explorer settings: If your Internet Explorer settings are incorrect, it can cause this error. QuickBooks uses Internet Explorer settings to connect to the server.
- Incorrect date and time settings: Incorrect date and time settings can cause SSL certificate errors, which can cause QuickBooks Error 12157.
- Corrupted Windows Registry: A corrupted Windows Registry can cause various errors, including QuickBooks Error 12157.
Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error 12157
Solution 1: Verify the Internet Connection
- Open a web browser and try to access any website to check the internet connection.
- Check the modem or router for any issues, such as disconnected cables or error messages.
- Now you will Restart the modem to refresh connection.
- If using a wireless connection, check for interference from other wireless devices and move closer to the router if possible.
- Reset the network settings on your device.
Solution 2: Disable Firewall or Security Software
- Temporarily disable the firewall or security software on your computer.
- Check if the QuickBooks Error 12157 has disappeared.
- If the error has disappeared, add an exception for QuickBooks in the firewall or security software.
- Ensure that the exception includes all necessary ports and IP addresses.
- Enable the firewall or security software again.
- Test QuickBooks to see if the error has been resolved.
- Contact the firewall or security software vendor for further assistance if the issue persists.
Solution 3: Verify SSL Settings
- Open Internet Explorer on your computer.
- Go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Scroll down to the Security section.
- Verify that both the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 checkboxes are selected.
- Click on Apply, then click on OK.
Solution 4: Update QuickBooks
- Open QuickBooks on your computer.
- Now you will Go, Help menu and select the QuickBooks.
- Click on the Update Now tab.
- Check the box next to Reset Update.
- Click on Get Updates.
- Wait for the update process to complete.
Solution 5: Check the Server Status
- Visit the QuickBooks Online Service Status Page on the Intuit website.
- Check the status of the QuickBooks server.
- If the server is down or experiencing issues, wait for Intuit to resolve the issue.
- If the server is working properly, ensure that your internet connection is stable and strong.
- Verify that you are using the correct login credentials for your QuickBooks account.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies.
In conclusion, QuickBooks Error 12157 is a common issue that can be easily fixed by following the appropriate steps. By taking the time to implement the solutions outlined in this article, you can get back to using QuickBooks and focusing on your business operations.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1 How can I verify my internet connection to fix QuickBooks Error 12157?
To verify your internet connection, you can open a web browser and try to access any website. If you cannot access any websites, there may be an issue with your internet connection. You can also check your modem or router for any issues, restart the modem or router, and reset the network settings on your device.
Q.2 How can I disable the firewall or security software to fix QuickBooks Error 12157?
To temporarily disable the firewall or security software, you can access the settings for the software and turn off the relevant features. If the error disappears, you can add an exception for QuickBooks in the firewall or security software and ensure that the exception includes all necessary ports and IP addresses.
Q.3 How can I verify SSL settings to fix QuickBooks Error 12157?
To verify SSL settings, you can open Internet Explorer on your computer, go to the Tools menu, select Internet Options, click on the Advanced tab, and scroll down to the Security section. Ensure that both the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 checkboxes are selected, click on Apply, and then click on OK.